Sunday, January 31, 2010

Baby Rocker Makeover

Somebody at my mother-in-law's workplace gave her an old baby rocker to give to me. I liked that you could put a baby in there and rock it to sleep, as well as set it up so that it stays stationary. However, this is what it looked like-

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="It looked rather old and stained."][/caption]

The fabric was sewn into the frame of the rocker, so couldn't be taken out and washed.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I wasn't crazy about the dirty teddy bears"][/caption]

But it was a good brand-Mother's Choice, and a freebie is a freebie. So I decided to give it a facelift.

I had some really soft cotton that I picked up at the opshop that I decide would look really good as a cover.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Some blue cotton fabric from the op shop"][/caption]

I also went to Spotlight today and picked up a metre of prepacked polyester wadding.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Polyester Wadding"][/caption]

But before I did anything, I wanted to make sure that the fabric would look right on the rocker.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="A mock up of what the final product will look like."][/caption]

Looks just fine. So, I proceeded to make a pattern with newspaper.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Using newspaper to make a pattern."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Marking all the spots on the newspaper"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cutting out the fabric with the newspaper as a guide and adding seam allowances."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Laying the wadding on newspaper."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cutting the wadding without seam allowances"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Pressing the fabric flat to prevent puckers when sewing."][/caption]

I planned to sew the wadding onto the wrong side of the fabric, and then turning it inside out. So-I pinned the fabric rights sides together, with the wadding on top of the wrong side.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Pinning the wadding on the wrong side of the fabric"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I sewed directly onto the wadding all around the sides."][/caption]

However, I left a hole in one of the short sides for turning the cover inside out.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="The Hole"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I anchored the four ends of the wadding unto the fabric before turning inside out"][/caption]

Then I proceed to pull the fabric and wadding through the hole.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="This is what it looks like the right way up. See that little hole?"][/caption]

I'm going to close it up with iron-on hemming tape.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Inserting hemming tape into the hole"][/caption]

Iron-on hemming tape is a fusible adhesive which bonds 2 pieces of fabric together when heat is applied. It is usually used for making invisible hems. I only discovered it in Adelaide-I'm not sure if I've come across it in Malaysia.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Ironing the hole with the fusible hemming tape in it."][/caption]

The original rocker seat has a strap sewn unto it to hold the baby in. I wanted to transfer it to the new cover. So I cut it off. Snip snip.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cutting off the safety strap"][/caption]

I wanted the cover to have a quilted look, so...

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Here I transfer all the markings from the newspaper to the cover. "][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I sewed along those markings to define the seat of the cover"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I sewed a curvy line down the length of the cover"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Here I used the quilting bar to guide the second line of stitching"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="The quilted look"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Sewing the safety strap on with a bartack stith"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I handsewed snaps on black tape on all four corners to anchor the cover into position."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Tadaa!"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I also made a little padded holder for the straps. "][/caption]

This was a very quick and rewarding project-no precision needed, yet the finished product looked quite professional.

Here's a before and after picture.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="581" caption="BIG improvement!"][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments here: