Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Assam Fish Noodle Soup

When mum was here, she brought with her a whole box of spices from Malaysia. It was lent and it was Friday and I was racking my head as to what to make. Wyld Man isn't big on fish. I wanted something different. I thought of the box of spices and thought-what can I make with those? What it I used it on fish (they were mostly spices for poultry or beef dishes.) When I was back in Malaysia, there was a shop near dad's clinic that sold this delicious fish head assam soup with noodles. It was EXTREMELY yummy. Golden, milky, spicy and hot. I craved it. I didn't know how to make it. I made a guess. And so this recipe was born.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Ingredients"][/caption]

Frozen fish, dried noodles, Nyonya Steam Fish Spices, turmeric powder, okra, tomatoes, milk, African seasoning, salt, pepper and sugar.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Uncle Sun's Brand of Nyonya Steam Fish Spice Paste"][/caption]

This is the first time I've used this brand. I imagine you could use substitute brands with similar ingredients. I didn't take a picture of the ingredients list on the back, but I would hazard a guess and say that any paste with chili, shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass, galangal should do as well.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Boil some water"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cut the stalk of the okra heads."][/caption]

I used about 10 little okras for two serves.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Quarter the tomatoes"][/caption]

I used 3 large tomatoes.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cube the fish"][/caption]

I used Nile perch that were on special-you could use anything as a substitute. The dish has so many spices in it that even fish that smell usually smell fishy won't. You can also use fish heads for a more intense flavour.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Heat some oil in a pot"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add spices into the pot and stir."][/caption]

Do not burn the spices. Pour in when the pot is medium hot.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add the fish and stir."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add okras"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add a tablespoon of turmeric powder"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add a few dashes of African seasoning"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Masterfoods"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Fill half the pot with boiling water"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add tomatoes"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Add half a carton of milk"][/caption]

Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes till the soup has thickened considerably. Add your dried noodles and boil till the noodles are soft and floats.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="YUMMY!"][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments here: