Saturday, May 1, 2010

Brown Shirt Refashion

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Brown Rayon Opshop Shirt"][/caption]

I bought this rayon shirt at the opshop when I was very pregnant. I assumed that just because the shirt fit at the shoulders, it would fit fine after I gave birth. However, I discovered that it was extremely billowyat the bottom and completely shapelesss. The collar was too high as well and the bow didn't sit properly. I decided to do something about it.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Shapeless"][/caption]

Knowing how well my first refashion turned out, I decided to do the same to this shirt. I planned to lower the collar and cut off the midsection and substitute it with stretch blue ribbed material.

Below I cut off the midsection about 8 inches above the hem.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Cut off midsection of shirt"][/caption]

I then measured myself around the waist and cut off a swatch of blue knit ribbed fabric less 2-3 inches in length, and the same width as the midsection that I cut off from the shirt.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="My deep blue ribbed knit"][/caption]

I joined the two raw edges of the ribbed knit to make a tube and overlocked the other raw edges.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Overlocking the raw edges of the blue ribbed knit"][/caption]

Here below I'm overlocking the edges of the brown shirt.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Overlocking the raw edges of the brown shirt."][/caption]

Next I pinned the ribbed knit tube to the brown shirt right sides together, pinning in quarterly intervals.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Pinning right sides together"][/caption]

This is what it looks like after the tube is sewn on.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Half way there."][/caption]

To lower the collar, I unpicked the the collar seam and recut the collar to where I wanted it to be.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="The unpicked collar"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="The new collar position."][/caption]

And I sewed the collar band back on.

Tada!

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="The finished refashioned shirt."][/caption]

I like it so much better. Wyld Man likes it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments here: